Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Game Engines - Week 5 - 23 EXP OBTAINED!



Finished my solar system that I showed you a few weeks ago! I found that upon programming this assignment that this stuff can get really repetitive, and sometimes I really looked for a lazy way out, but that usually somehow requires more work and gives errors. I’ve been able to gain the proper EXP needed to write the midterm, and based on what I’ve been programming so far, I’m not quite sure what to expect on the midterm… I know we were given a midterm review in class this week, but it did not focus too much in general on anything, we were basically told to know everything except a few things like the rendering pipeline. 

                On the plus side, I started the semester not expecting to even be able to write the midterm since I’m such a bad programmer. I received a lot of online help and guidance from the samples provided from the TwoLoc engine. In order to make my solar system work out, I used that sample from the raypicking, that really helped me on getting a mouse function to click the objects with a function called PickObject(), which I recreated in my own program, cheap I know, but it worked! Taking this further, I added a few if statements that would display text boxes based on the object picked, so basically I finished this assignment. It was simply a matter of me adding information on the planets and recreate moons.

                This doesn’t seem bad right? Well wrong, upon creating moons to orbit around the planet, I ran into several issues and ended up staying awake really late for no reason. The simple problem was basically with the nodes and the confusion between all the parenting. My moons were rotating around the sun for some reason which was annoying… upon asking a friend about the issue, I was told that it would be simply easier to create another node for the moon to move around instead of using the planet entities. These nodes would be placed where the planets were. Once this was fixed… everything worked out. What a stupid little mistake I made, but I guess that’s how we learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment