Friday, October 12, 2012

Game Engines - Week 4 - Almost there...



                So I’m currently working on the Skydome program. But before that! I have actually made an amazing discovery along with my other GDW group members, we obtained an online pdf book called Pro Ogre 3D programming, and suddenly a lot have things have become much clearer. What I’m really wondering is, why isn’t one of our course books like this? I understand the whole idea of learning on our own, but we should have had some help, especially for people who aren’t strong at programming, I mean I’m sure I’m not the only one?

                This book gave me a nice read on working with sky domes and even billboards, which helped me, gain an idea of how I’m supposed to go about creating another assignment. I’ve managed to obtain the knowledge to create the actual skydome in my program, but I’m not too sure how I’m going to go about animating it… I have an idea that may work derived from my previous assignment and the parenting sample used in our examples. 

UPDATE:
                I’ve managed to get it animating by creating separate nodes and treating the skydome like one of the planet examples, through this I was able to get it rotating along a certain axis which has given the effect of the sky dome animating and best of all! I do not see a pinch in the texture. I believe that is the main difference between using Ogre’s sky dome function and simply texturing a sphere. I also created a plane at the beginning of the assignment to represent grass so that the sky dome scene would not look stupid.



                With the approaching midterm, I am very curious as to whether or not the exam will have programming questions. In order to complete most of my assignments, I’d have to research and look at other examples. Theoretically I understand what’s going on, and I understand most of the lecture material… I probably will have to go over my math for the 3rd time since taking Computer Animation. I hope the methods and stuff have not changed since I first took it 2 years ago. This is the one side about being behind in this program; teachers change everything every year, so if I repeat a course I’m dealing with a whole new experience level. We’ll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment