Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Game Design II - Week 1 - September 12, 2012



 A fresh start to the new year and suddenly I’m actually enjoying this class a lot more than last year, so far the idea of this class being split into two different days is working well. I’ve noticed that towards the 2 hour mark of most 3 hour classes, I’m already distracted by a thought or something online. This year seems like it’s going to go well in this class since we will be focusing less on those paper board games… which I guess WERE fun at times, but there was just way too many of them. We were talking about level design and I randomly thought about how I used to spend hours making levels in LittleBigPlanet a couple summers ago. Even for some of our GDW projects before, the level design aspects was actually one of my favourites. 

For this week’s classes we were asked to take a favourite sport in groups and change one environmental aspect that would make the game more fun and keep the same rules. This was kind of challenging… a lot of the sports we talked about were played mainly on a flat surface with two teams and two sides of possession. I noticed most of the people around me chose Soccer even though I chose soccer also. It didn’t really matter, since we were all supposed to have our own unique modifications. 

What my group and I decided on was to change the environment to become similar to a dome, where the field would change to be circular rather than square as shown in the diagram. The field would then be covered in a giant mesh like net so that the ball could not go out of bounds but simply be in play all the time… this in our opinion would make the game much more action packed and could be really fun. Although this idea now that I think of it wasn’t really the greatest… it could not be played on a professional level and I was trying to keep it realistic even though the groups around us did not really stick to that... can't wait to see what happens in the future of this course

No comments:

Post a Comment