Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Game Design II - Week 3 - September 25, 2012



                Third week of the semester already, currently in class one, and we’re all pretty much talking about our upcoming Prototype presentation, which in my opinion is a lot cooler than last year. Since we’ve all been put into GDW groups we were allowed to work on this as a team. We were assigned to design a level using the Portal 2 Level Creator. We managed to get this done very early since a few of our group members were really enthusiastic about the game. I personally dislike the Portal games and I’m not a huge fan, I know this usually gets me very bad looks and judgement because apparently this game is super fun and cool… I’m sorry, not for me. ALTHOUGH, creating the level with the team was actually pretty fun… I’ve always been a huge fan of level design and it’s one of the areas of game design that I wanted to specialize in.

                Last year in our GDW project, since the programming in our group was not the greatest, we could really implement good levels, however since I am in fact at the 4th year level, I was fooling around with Maya and created a farm for our game Medium Rare so I could include it in my Demo Reel. One of the things I failed to realize was that I should have focused on areas that I wanted to go into when I one day join the game development world. Now in our current GDW game, which we still hasn’t named… there are a lot of things that I should think about. Especially since we’ve chosen the first person adventure genre. We are supposed to make an assortment of different levels… some which I feel don’t really apply to our game; I’m currently sitting here with my sketchbook trying to think of ways to challenge the player… I think my mind state while doing this is very bad… because the whole time I’m designing this level, I’m thinking of how to make this as hard as possible to pretty much challenge the player to the max. Maybe it is a good idea for me to give the easier levels to another group member, so I can do the final ones and provide a really hard challenge for those hard core gamers out there. Rather than our dark horror theme I would have preferred it if our game premise was a bit brighter and colourful… as a somewhat artistic individual I really enjoy creating textures for different objects and planes in Photoshop. This is something I should probably do on my own spare time sometime next semester when I have much more free time. If you have no idea what I’m talking about right now, you should probably head over to the Team RoGUE development blog on our game.

                Anyways, our Portal 2 level presentation is tomorrow…I can’t really remember what I was supposed to say… the downside of sitting near the back is that you miss some details the prof says. Some of my group members are confusing me saying we need to make a PowerPoint while the rest of them are claiming we just have to demo our level… I hope I don’t have to because I really dislike Portal 2 strongly. Don’t hate. Today we got our homework assignment which was to create a game with a board that was given to us. Our requirements were: Romance theme, a Social Experience, a Race, and a turn-based game. We got this at the end of class, but I already have a pretty cool idea. Last year for Game Design I, we had to make something similar, and we recreated Romeo & Juliet as a paper prototype… during that time I had brainstormed one for the Shakespearean play the Tempest… one of my favourites, and that game idea can kind of be implemented into this… we’ll see what happens tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment