Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Human Computer Interaction - Blog 7



Direct Manipulation

                This week’s video lecture topic was about direct manipulation. It was defined in the lecture as continuous object representation and also actions and feedback. In video games specifically my general interpretation of the subject is based on pressing buttons on a game controller, or performing physical movements with today’s gaming technology. When talking about actions and feedback in the introduction three types were listed, they are rapid, reversible and incremental. What does this mean to me? I usually try to think of video game examples from games that I’ve played. When talking about rapid action and feedback I think of games like God of War.

Now I do in fact bring this game up a lot when talking about buttons and game interfaces. In all of the God of War titles, when defeating the majority of the enemies are quick time events where the player must press certain buttons based on a reaction time and sometimes also have to rapidly press a button many times in order for a specific action to occur. Recently playing God of War Ascension I had an issue trying to defeat a certain boss where I had to rip its wings off by spinning the analog sticks on the Playstation Dualshock controller. As I continued to fail and retry I had been practising and gradually increasing my skill in performing this action. This relates to the lecture again where it talks about positive feelings for good user interfaces. Mastering the interface… once I defeated this boss, whenever the same style of quick time event occurred I was able to do it with ease. Now as I am near the end of the game I am quick to react to hitting the buttons to defeat enemies and bosses. 

Use in Non-Gaming Software

                Throughout the lecture many topics regarding word processing and spreadsheets were also brought up. Direct manipulation does not solely relate to gaming. Programs such as Microsoft Word and even Excel take some time to master. A new user to Microsoft Word may not notice that the icons at the top near the font section can bold, underline or italicize text. With the older versions of Microsoft Word, it was much harder to learn. Old fashioned people such as my own parents have great difficulties today trying to use these programs. Whenever I would ask my parents why they were having trouble, they would inform me that the toolbar at the top of the program contained way too many small icons and options for them to perform and this was quite overwhelming to them. In the lecture there were also word processing technologies listed that do in fact improve the overall user interaction. These include, spellcheck, dictionary and thesaurus features. Visual aids such as the red and green underlines can clearly help a user to correct their mistakes.

Problems with Direct Manipulation

As stated in the lecture, spatial or visual representations can sometimes be too spread out. This can relate to what I mentioned before with my parents being confused with too many icons or objects in the manipulation toolbar at the top of Microsoft Word. It does take time to learn new programs and understand graphical representation because sometimes they can be misleading. A lot of icons in Microsoft Word alone will take some trial and error to gain learning, such as the line spacing and indentation icons. I myself have mastered the ability to word process. Not too brag, but I can type very quickly and have the ability to bold using keys quickly rather than using a lot of mouse work. This brings up another interesting point of there being a lot of different alternatives to performing certain manipulations to things like words, letters and sentences in the word processing world. Typing the commands directly is usually faster. When talking about games and complex systems I think of a lot of MMORPG games. Whenever I watch people playing World of Warcraft or games like League of Legends, I am confused to the max about what’s going on and why there are so many different visible icons and numbers popping up in every corner. If I were to play those games for the first time I would probably suck really bad and be manually clicking things slowly to try them out. Looking at some of my friends play the games, I just see them clicking rapidly and pressing buttons almost robotically.

Principles of Direct Manipulation

                In the lecture there were three principles of direct manipulation brought up. These were touched upon briefly earlier in the lecture, where I brought up my God of War example. That would relate mainly to the third principle of “rapid, incremental and reversible actions whose effects on the objects of interest are visible immediately”. The first principle is “continuous representations of the objects and actions of interest with meaningful visual metaphors”. My understanding of this brings up the Assassin’s Creed franchise immediately. Why? Simply because of that crazy map that you have a billion icons representing many different types of missions, treasures, and points of interest. The visual representations are always seen in the top right corner of your screen and you can access them almost at any time. This allows the player to tackle things at their own pace and in my opinion was a good design decision for the game series. 
The second principle is “physical actions or presses of labeled buttons instead of complex syntax”. To me it brings up the previous example of Microsoft Word and excel again.

References:


[Assassins Creed: Brotherhood].Retrieved March 21, 2013, from: URL: (http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/6390/2011/03/acb_dlc1_1-600x337.png)


[Microsoft Word Toolbar Icons].Retrieved March 21, 2013, from: URL: (http://colemancountyinstitute.wikispaces.com/file/view/microsoft.jpg/146633399/microsoft.jpg)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment