Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Human Computer Interaction - Blog 2



What Is HCI?

                Human Computer Interaction, the name of our course title and what we were introduced too in the past lecture. In our introductory lecture we were asked what HCI is, the definition of it is to combine knowledge and methods from many different areas of learning. These would include psychology, computer science, graphic design, anthropology, sociology, human ergonomics and technical writing. When I think about HCI, I mainly think of somebody sitting on a laptop or desktop computer operating on Windows 8. Yes a little strange, but in reality, HCI occurs almost everywhere every day. If you breakdown the words separately, you got Humans, interacting or using computers, or devices containing computing. What do I mean by that? Well in the lecture they referred to many things, such as cell phones, tablets, televisions and almost anything. Within the lecture they also talk about iterations, and how once you start a design and implement, you must then evaluate what went wrong or what can be improved. If we look at HCI from an individual’s perspective, we can think of many ways they interact with computers daily, such as using something like Facebook or Twitter through laptops and phones. Since we are game development students this is also a major area. Computer Interactions are also used by medical industries and businesses for many different functions. With me, I’m typically interested in gaming and entertainment.

My Life Experiences with HCI
 
                Another thing that pops into my mind when thinking about human computer interaction from a family perspective is how I recently had to teach my parents who are completely illiterate when it comes to technology about using computers and phones of today. To be more specific, my father owns his own business and for the longest time he had been working with paperwork, phone calls, and even using an old school typewriter. Just recently in the past five years, he has switched to keeping everything online, using word documents, excel sheets, email systems. In the past week he had even somewhat been forced to learn how to operate text messages and upgrade his flip phone to a Blackberry. The five factors of usability evaluation can somewhat be seen here. It has taken him a few years to learn how to use all the software on the computer properly, and he can now operate things very quickly. When he does encounter problems, he learns new things and how to fix them. My mother on the other hand, still is unable to use a computer and is confused whenever she tries. Her business involves baking and making cakes of all sorts. When her customers come to her asking to make specific custom cakes, she usually turns to me of my father and asks us to look on the internet. I usually go into Google image search and type in the very basic form of what she’s looking for, and she’s amazed. She one day went on her own and opened the internet like she had once seen me do, and since Google was the homepage, she typed in what she was looking for and did a regular search. The first thing Google showed her was the images, and she clicked them and it led her to the image search. My point with this little story is that in most cases these days, a lot of basic computing needs are extremely user friendly, and if someone so unfamiliar with technology is able to interact with it, it is evident that a lot of focus is done on ensuring that all kinds of humans can interact easily. User friendly can mean many things; it has different variations of the same meaning such as easy to use, idiot proof, accessible and comprehensible.

HCI in Gaming
 
Looking at it from a gaming perspective and devices like Microsoft’s Kinect and the new Wii U, there are so many different possibilities for the future of gaming. When I was originally interested in video games, I had never thought that we’d ever be interacting with video games through the use of our own body. I have forever been swayed to love the use of controllers personally. This is because I generally play video games to relax. A lot of new features these days however have really grabbed my attention. One of my recent favourites is the old Wii’s use of the motion in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, how I was able to do my own types of cuts and stabs when defeating enemies. This was a massive improvement from the first Zelda game on the Wii. From the start I had always been against the whole motion interaction thing. But things like this really gave me an open mind when thinking about the future. Other games that really converted me over to loving the motion stuff would include Mario Party 8, Mario Kart and Wii Sports. My story of adapting to Mario Karts HCI controls was somewhat forced. I had brought my Wii system to Oshawa and kept it in my residence to play with my roommates, and since it was his first time playing I tried to trick him into using the Wii controls while I wanted to use the Game Cube controller. He was very discouraged because he couldn’t really adapt to turning the wheel, so I switched with him and I have now mastered the ability to use the Wii controls. Being a sales associate at Best Buy as my part time job, often has me explaining completely clueless customers the evolution of technology in terms of video games. As of recent, a few customers have told me how they had only played the original Nintendo and the Sega era, they would be as impressed by the Kinect as their child played Kinect Star Wars. Universally usable computer systems were mentioned also in the lecture. It generally means that the computer system can be used by all kinds of human individuals, whether they are older or younger. Some games that I think are universally usable in today’s era would be the Wii Sports series, in my opinion it is simple for someone to know what to do when they hold a Wii remote and are placed on the tennis court, it is also extremely easy to operate the menu systems.



My long term dream in terms of human computer interaction would be one day to see some of the technology that has been seen in the Ironman movie in Tony Stark’s home. Almost every type of motion or voice command that Tony Stark made or said in the movie brought up some sort of futuristic technological interface. I always imagine some type of system like this implemented in my home someday, though the costs would probably be ridiculous.

Other things that had been gone over in the in class lecture would include the discussion of our blogging system. Things are definitely a lot different than last semester’s blogging system. I feel like since there is less homework and prototyping involved for this class, these blogs serve as small essays or assignments. Though a lot of students have been complaining on how these things work now, I think it is somewhat effective in ensuring that students learn the lecture material. I am not too impressed with the criteria for these blogs, because there are some things that students tend to focus on more than others. In my current post I have used a lot of my own real life experiences and compared them to my thoughts on Human Computer Interaction in general, whether this is what is expected or not I am unsure. As a student in class said, I believe we will see how this system works and hopefully we can improve it.

Image Citations

Touchscreen Picture
Zelda Skyward Sword Screenshot
Ironman Screenshot



No comments:

Post a Comment